For Patrons with Learning, Cognitive, or Developmental Disabilities
The Library offers sensory-friendly programming for all ages. To learn more, see our programs below, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Children of all abilities—whether neurotypical or not—are welcome at all of our programs.
- Find programs for adults and children
- Check out books and materials
- Browse online databases for video storybooks and animated picture books
NYPL offers a range of programs to suit adults with learning, cognitive or developmental disabilities, from movie screenings to computer skills classes. The Library also offers sensory-friendly programming for children—all interactive and designed to engage kids through music, movement, stories, and sensory activity play.
NYPL also provides free access for eligible patrons to Bookshare's 400,000 accessible ebooks / e-audiobooks that can be read from a computer or mobile device. The wide variety of titles are read aloud with synthetic speech and provide simultaneous highlighted text on screen. Learn more and sign up.
Access these databases with your library card, from home or at a branch.
- Bookflix: Browse an online literary resource that pairs classic video storybooks with related nonfiction ebooks to build a love of reading and learning.
- tumblebooks: Watch your favorite picture books come alive with animated illustrations and text that highlights as it is read aloud to you.